Dive in a Little Deeper: Final Reflection of A Million Blue Pages
This assignment helped shape the way I experienced reading House of Leaves by taking something un-graspable, such as text, and making it tangible and physical. In a sense, this project made what wasn’t real, real. This was helpful in understanding the text because it allowed anyone reading and creating at the same time to explore different ideas about the novel that the practical, analytical approach wouldn’t allow and to open up those minds to new ideas of the text such as special reasoning and design that comes within the text as well as the way the text is laid out on the page. Instead of just looking at the text on page and saying it is laid out to better enhance the story, the text itself becomes a physical object and every little aspect becomes analyzed under more analysis.
The platforms that I used were pretty simple. I used a .Gif making app to help make a few of my moving pictures as well as the paint program in order to edit pieces that I wanted to change in the text such as editing the layout of one of the pages due to the mention of lack of wheelchair ramps in the story but no change in the text despite change despite change prior to the wheelchair ramp reference. Much of the programs and technology I utilized were on my phone or related to my phone in some way, and, while they may not have much purpose in any projects I do later on, they did help give me a strong background in manipulating images as well as finding creative ways to reanalyze the text that may have not been done before. In other marketing related fields, the projects I created could help advertise other objects as much of advertising is manipulating anyway. In a sense, a lot of what was created was good advertisement for those who have not read House of Leaves yet. It takes something as daunting as a 709 page novel and turns it into different items that are fun and not challenging. With that being said, it doesn’t water down the text, but makes it less intimidating and helps potential readers to understand that what they could read is more than just words, but can also be graspable as well.
The most interesting part of the project was the lens that it forced the reader to see House of Leaves from. It took the challenge away from the novel and made it more about understanding what all of this could mean in reality. There’s probably a better way to explain this, but, as I mentioned before, it took something that wasn’t real and turned it into something that is. The least interesting aspect to this was the required number of nodes needed for the project. While it is understandable that it provides encouragement and incentive to students to expand and try new ideas, it can also water down the creativity that individuals can put out. Personal experience is that I was happy with four out of the five nodes I created but the fifth one just felt like I did it for the sake of doing it and no other reason. I really did enjoy this project though. It encouraged creative exploration of the text that isn’t usually done in a normal classroom.